Monday, April 25, 2005

Now, I Buy All My Games at Cinnabon

This is 31 different flavors of disturbing to me.

Not necessarily because I'm against corporate mergery or anything (I'm not for it, mind, but I can certainly understand why, from a business perspective, it's good business), but because now I'm limited in the choices for game-purchasing.

Certainly, there still exists Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Sams Club, Taco Bell, even...ugh...K-Mart, but if I want to find an obscure PS2 game, or an old PC game, or a used game on the cheap, my choices were pretty much limited to Gamestop, EB, or the Internet, and more often than not, the Internet is a dicey proposition for game retail. Not that I don't trust the major sites for the most part, but used game buying no matter where you go is kind of a shady, back alley dealing, where what you're buying is of questionable quality, but it's cheaper than new, which makes it easier to get your fix. However, at least in the case of EB or Gamestop, there was someone actually there to yell at if something went wrong.

Not that any of that will change. EB just moved into a bigger store here, so they're probably just going to move the Gamestop inventory over there, but it'd be nice if the threat still loomed that I could take my business elsewhere. Now, if I want to get a copy of Katamari Damacy for $14.99 there's only one place to go, and that's really too bad. Rare is the day when I would wish some other major retail chain would come swooping in to scarf up some of the "Pre-Played" game market (Game Crazy is trying very hard, but their selection is awful), but here we are.

Buuuuut, then again, maybe I'm just pissed because I liked the old ElBo dog. Dammit, that was one of my favorite cartoon video-game store mascots. Gamestop can suck it!

Err...on second thought, it's probably not a good idea to piss off the one shop left in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home