Sunday, April 17, 2005

Tekken 5

Just got done playing Tekken 5 for the first time. My thoughts?

-I think the graphics are top notch, best of any fighting game on the PS2. The physics aren't great, but it's not really that kind of game. I would have liked to have seen "destructable environments that were actually destructable though. If you're going to take the time to animate parts of the floor shattering, why not keep it shattered? As it is now, only one spot of the floor can be broken at any given time.

-Sound is what it is. The cycling music and soundclips can grate a little bit, but it's not so bad that I turned it off or anything. Voice acting for the characters is bad, but somehow that fits in perfectly with the storylines presented in the game.

-Arcade ports for 1, 2, AND 3 is beyond awesome. WAY better than the extra features from Mortal Kombat: Deception.

-As for the gameplay...Tekken always has been kinda the most button mashy fighter out there. It's fun, and there IS strategy in there if you care to try to find it, but you don't need to to win. The first time I played through, I played as Law (my best character) and breased through it. I was almost ready to complain that the game was too easy, but then I played again.

I'll be quick to point out that I am inexperienced with most of the other fighters in the game, but the boss characters are just complete and utter crap. Devil Jin is, at least, defeatable, though a lot of his combos go foreeeever and his eye laser is a waste. I've beat the crap out of him only to lose to an eye laser, which pissed me off to no end. Junpachi Mushima, however, is the cheapest boss character I've ever fought. He has teleportation, cheap combos, juggles, ground combos, AND an unblockable fireball that takes approximately 40% of your heath when it hits. The only reliable way I've found of beating him is to be cheaper than the computer (using the old "Goro method" of finding one move that seems to work, and just repeating that move until he dies), which isn't "challenging" as I'm sure Namco thought it would be, but annoying.

The ending cutscenes range from "interesting" to "funny", and come in all manner of types. Some advance key Tekkenverse plots, while some just seem to be thrown in as an admission that "This character needs an ending." Law's for example is funny, but not particularily interesting. Also, it's interesting to note that a few characters have different endings. Most characters have full CGI cutscenes that give their story, but some just get a little blurb or even anime. It's weird that they wouldn't just give everybody the same treatment (I wouldn't mind an anime short for each character now that I think about it), but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I haven't really fooled around with much of the extra stuff (especially the action adventure game "The Devil Within"), but it's still a solid arcade fighter if that's your thing. Just keep plenty of Advil nearby for the Jupachi related headaches.

I'll give it a 4 out of 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home